Music Banter - View Single Post - An in-depth guide to writing your first Music Journal
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 06:17 AM   #24 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Yeah, I think I understand now.
Like BD says, it's not like receiving a rejection letter on a story or anything. The mods don't tell you why your material has not been approved --- mine always have been and I'd say 99.9% of genuine articles are --- they just don't approve it. I've had occasions where they've been under pressure and it's taken a few days to approve material, and then I've looked to see did I say something I shouldn't have, was a graphic too suggestive (when I used the girls in my journal for instance) or whatever. But nothing has ever been rejected.

So nobody will critique your work and say "this isn't good enough". No-one's going to second-guess you or give you an "F": as long as it's acceptable they'll approve it.

I'll be happy, if you want, to offer my advice (in PM if you prefer) when/if you start, but generally speaking as a champion of the journals section (and I don't mean by that I'm the best, just that I encourage people to start journals) I visit most/all new ones and do offer my comments, congratulations that they took the step and any proper advice I can, though usually I will stay away from form, structure, spelling (unless it's VERY bad) and grammar, even if I itch to tell the member what I feel.

So I'd say go for it: look at the other journals around and you'll see some people put a huge amount of effort into their work, some less so, but everyone has fun. As an example of pure fun while still making sure his work is not mere drivel, read the Batlord's journal. For a look at something that's really well written and well put together and thought out, look at anything by Janszoon, and for total research Nirvana and knowing a subject inside out, check Unknown Soldier's journal.

Hope to see you out there!