Music Banter - View Single Post - Guitarrrrr stuuuhfff
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 01:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Afro Blue
Music Addict

there's this book called "play what you hear" that besides giving you a bunch of stuff to work on.. has this section on getting you to hear how every note relates to the background harmony. and using a one string at a time approach to really get to hearing what you play..

i don't know much about melody's played at top speed, but something you learn in music theory is that music is composed of 3 things... Melody, Harmony and Rhythm. its good to understand them to kind of figure out whats going on when you play music.

An for anyone i guess it applies the idea that is no good to play faster than you can think, one can get carried away building muscle memory and forget to really hear whats going on.

Steve vai has this section on his web page called "little black dots", talks about making music from a different approach, a more aural learning to be unique approach, its better to be you as much as you can than to sound like someone else or do stuff because others have done it, but i guess one needs to find out for oneself..

i was told that music can be a path to self realization.
Afro Blue is offline   Reply With Quote