Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bitch Box
Thread: The Bitch Box
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #11292 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Thanks Jess. 1991, February 7. The big C got her, and she never smoked in her life. Dammit, life's very unfair sometimes... Still, she knew how much she was loved, and she was. Nobody --- nobody --- ever had a bad word to say about her. I wrote a sort of poem about her for I think it was the tenth anniversary or something; found it recently. If I can find some appropriate thread or section I may post it.
I take my non-existent hat off in respect, and mutter solemn words of comfort and regard.
Meanwhile, my mom is alive, however she is the kind of person that likes to go into a denial state about her health because she doesn't want to face up to it. She has diabetes (the preventable kind), and really high blood pressure. She's ok with taking meds, but she's ultra-scared of doctors and refuses to get checkups. It worries me because she needs to have someone other than herself looking out for herself, in an informed way.
She has been getting better, and actually consented to getting a full checkup recently, which, to me, is amazing and lifts a pretty big weight... because she's been limping lately when I see her, and I notice she blames it on walking too much or something, which is denial about her actual health problems, because this has been getting progressively worse for a while now. Hopefully someone she sees as an authority in the matter will actually convince her that she needs to take care of her health by putting it in the hands of professionals who can actually tell her what she should be doing to alleviate the problem.

It's extremely frustrating, because no matter what we say to her, she doesn't get that "wakeup call". She really needs someone in a position of medical authority to give it to her, and I think she might finally be edging over to being receptive of getting it in the first place.