Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Punk album of all time?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #327 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
I've become aware of situations through songs being made about them and bands talking about them, which is the whole point of writing them.

You don't seriously think people write a song thinking 'This'll bring down the government'?
Maybe not bring down the government, but I'm sure they think they can accomplish something. Unfortunately most of these groups are only gonna inspire people who are either disenfranchised (either because they live in communist Czechoslovakia or because they're just naturally disposed to be contrary to society in general) or that small minority of people who are serious music fans. Like you. The vast majority of people couldn't give a ****, so unless your only goal is to express your discontent and you don't particularly care about what happens after it goes into the ether, then it's rather pointless.

Edit: And since we were talking about the Clash, I think this very much applies. I'm not a Clash expert, but I've certainly seen quotes where they talk a whole lot about revolution and young people taking back power and other assorted communist revolutionary drivel.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote