Music Banter - View Single Post - The great hardcore/punk countdown
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #331 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BastardofYoung View Post
note: Slow considered their music "Demolition Rock". They have been called proto-grunge, because they share similarities and even had the look that would be associated with grunge, but they have said they are "Demolition Rock".

This can be seen on the back cover of "I Broke the Circle"

They also never released a 7", both "I Broke the Circle" and "Against the Glass" were released as 12" (as far as I know)

I know a few people via facebook who are on the Vancouver Punk Scene (Doug Donut of Death Sentence, Billy Hopeless of The Black Halos.. and a few others) and seeing people talk about Slow who remember them is great. Bring up Seattle bands, especially Green River (though Mudhoney usually is brought up, but Slow predated them, but were around the same time as Green River) and they will say "Green River was a poor mans Slow" (though some bias is obviously there)

A few famous incidents, The Expo 86 incident was probably the bigger ones. The other one was pre-Slow, when members were in a band called Chuck and the Fucks... and them getting kicked out of a high school they played (how a band called Chuck and the Fucks got booked in the first place is a question for the ages)

Believe the other pre-Slow band was SiSu.

Then you have the post-Slow bands, the most known was Tom's band called Copyright (Christian was also a member). Their first album, referred to as Circle C is a rarity as well that is considered to be pretty great if you can find it. They were on DGC Records, but not for long... think they didn't sell very well and were booted off the label.

this one from the demo:

But their music after that went more mainstream rock. They had a minor hit with this song

the follow up was not as well received, but for the style isn't that bad:
Right I shouldn't have said 7 inch, I meant to say Ep, as their were only 6 songs.

Circle C a rarity? I use to have the tape cassette...but I think I threw it out spring cleaning last year
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote