Music Banter - View Single Post - Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

You know, its hard for me to dislike The 20/20 Experience when its obvious that Justin really wanted to give mainstream R&B a nice shakedown and remind the world that music that actually tries is more interesting in the long-run than yet another record that was designed for the sole purpose of filling up slots on Top 40 radio.

That being said, I think Justin has the same problem that Frank Ocean does: two modern and obviously talented guys who want to be Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder respectively, but not enough cohesive ideas to make the longer tracks click as much I think they should. 'Pusher Love Girl', 'Let The Groove Get In' and 'Spaceship Coupe' are all quite savory though, no doubt about it!

Also, I don't think Timbaland's hyper-rhythmic production style gels effectively from song-to-song here, especially in light of some of the other really top-class R&B records that have come out recently. Take More Than Words by Brian McKnight for instance: that baddass has adopted a Maxwell-meets-Steely Dan aesthetic that really brings out the best in his songwriting. The 20/20 Experience, unfortunately, feels almost as if its forcing itself at times. Timberlake needs to go take a few leaves out of the classic 80's approach to R&B or go listen to some razor sharp modern prog. rock for future deep-cut endeavor inspiration methinks.

That being said, great review and I enjoyed the album on the whole: I just don't think it's going to make everyone's AOTY list come December, especially with all the great music in a variety of genres that's coming our way over the next few months...

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 03-22-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote