Music Banter - View Single Post - The Right Unpopular Opinions
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
To answer that I will give you this example

I used to often wonder why so many 70s bands made such awful albums in the 80s.

Then later when I would read about these bands I found out the reason for these awful albums was because of drugs, booze, bands hating each other, bands not bothered any more, bands running out of ideas, different band members recording in different continents, endless line up changes and so on and so on and so on

And when I read all of these things about why these records sucked I was not surprised in the slightest because I knew these albums were nowhere near as good as what had come before.

Back then I knew no reasons why they should be that bad or no reason to expect them to be bad before I heard them. they just were, you could hear it in the music.

And I was a person living alone with a record player on an island
Well, you could have earned those opinions the legit way. A person living alone on an island certainly would. Someone else might post that they like Deep Purple except their 80s and up output, without ever having heard it, because they've seen opinions like yours and figure it's the "right" one to have.

Perhaps they'd do it on a more subconscious level than that.

edit :

Hate posting on my nexus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Not to mention that just because you weren't born when certain albums were around that you can't listen to them retrospectively. I mean, if a teenager now told me that they only loved (to keep with the prog idea) Marillion with Fish, I wouldn't just say well you weren't around when Fish was at his height. There's nothing to stop someone buying (or downloading) an artiste's full discog and then listening to them carefully over a period of weeks to be able to form an opinion as to which period, if any, they prefer.

My own personal view though is that if I were to do that with, say, Bob Marley, I'd make the point that "I've only been listening to his music for a few months but I prefer this period to that period" --- make it obvious I'm not pretending I've been into the guy for years and years.
My point here is not that people can't listen to music. The point is that people will often make it seem or sound like they've heard more of an artist than they have. Do you disagree?

And when they do, they need an opinion about that music which they've not really sat down and listened to.