Music Banter - View Single Post - Watsky - Cardboard Castles
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
ThatBlueFluffyDude
Music Addict

Default Watsky - Cardboard Castles

I’m Going to do a review of each song off this individually then a full overall review after, This is so you know what let’s this album down and/or what makes this album brillaint. My Rating system goes like this:

Other side note: I'm listening on Spotify, so if I have missed or added tracks it's because they're missing or special edition on Spotify.

1. Fireworks
The beat of this song is made by firework sounds. So it isn't a solid beat, but the rapping is good, maybe this song is made for all the fans of he's viral video "Watsky raps fast" or what it used to be called "Pale kid raps fast". All I know is that it's a nice little inr=tro song with Watsky talkng to a kid at the end of the track about fireworks. For this one don't expect anything sectacular.

2. Strong As an Oak
This is one of the songs used a while back for George's LOUD YouTube Series, and I loved it from the get go, now getting to hear this in full is great, the chorus is catchy the music is great and the verses are lyric greatness, what is not to like? I get the same vibe from this like Watsky's other song Stupidass, just great.

3. Morale of the Story
This is another great song, lyrics really make this great, this is a rapping album and I don't really listen to rap so everything is going to be lyrically great to me xD The chorus also is brilliant, I think I also have a thing for trumpets. I love the trumpets xD

4. Ugly Faces
With this I'm not sure about the techno thing in the background and the chorus. But I like the first verse it makes me wanna dance. Very weird. Especially from a metal head like me.

5. Skit #1
Ahh I understand now, these are part of the theme of the album. When you listen/watch the title track you'll understand. It's Watsky and the Kid again. Listen to it.

6. Kill a Hipster - feat. Chinaka Hodge
This is just funny. Hipsters xD It's starts of kinda Mariachi with a nice blend of trumpets and rapping. It then turns out a hipster took over the song and turned the chorus into a Indie sounding song. Something Hipsters would listen to. A Fun track.

7. Hey, ******* - Kate Nash
Whoa Kate Nash! She starts with a nice vocal intro then the beat kicks in and the music becomes very mellow. I imagine lying on a beach listening to this, this is vibe I get from this. It's lovely. When you read the title... Did you expect this lovely song? I didn't.

8. All I Need Is A One
This is alright, nothing great and nothing brilliant I'm not fully digging it thats all. It's just a personal preference, It may be a grower... Hopefully. We also have another little skit at the end.

9. Tiny Glowing Screens Part 1
This is great. I love the rapping and the music, it's a nice happy song and get really big near the end and comes back down again with the acoustic guitar. It then goes all 8 bit and weird... What happened

10. Tiny Glowing Screens Part 2
This is an emotional story and this could be linked in to the overall theme of this album. It's really deep (sounds stupid I know) and just really makes you think. If it's trying to deliver a message. It has done it... Loud and Clear.

11. Sloppy Seconds
Like the last one starts with piano and The chorus is very rocky so I like it and Watsky really likes the big sounding choruses because this is also big. The song adds and takes away little things in the music and adds a lot of depth to the song. Then theres adding a second women vocalist as well. It's something really enjoyable just to listen to. If you don't wanna listen to the whole album? Listen to this one at least.

12. Dedicated to Christina Li
A nice subtle song but the lyrics is the opposite. Poor Christina Li It's a sad song and if this is true I bet Watsky feels horrible. But I think it may be made up. I'm not sure but either way It's a nice song and feels. There is some lovely classical guitar at the end as well, sweeet.

13. Skit #2
This is another skit. Not much to talk about it.

14. The Legend of Hardhead Ned - feat. Dylan Saunders
What a weird story xD Some soothing flutes and Joyful beats and lyrics. NEW YORK CITY now the song has gone a bit more techno and modern, with the sounds of cars and traffic. It seems the song changes the sound everytime Ned moves to a different area. First Forest - Flutes, New York City - Techno. Oh god this song makes me laugh and the voice over by Dylan is great and the last line is brilliant segway into the title track...

15. Cardboard Castles
I've listen to this song before and My opinion stays the same. Just a great song. The chorus is brilliant and again with the big sounding songs. It's soothing to my ears. Just listen to it, you won't regret it.

16. Send in the Sun
This doesn't sound like a Watsky song? Where is Watsky? Well where ever he is he's missing this awesome intro. Oh here he is. Ok, all joking aside this is a song that feels like it's missing something and It doesn't make the album feel complete. But there is a bonus trackwhich I cannot listen to because of spotify. But It's not bad, maybe they should have put this one before The Legend of Ned so we can end on Carboard Castles.

Overall: This is a brilliant follow up to all of Watsky's Previous work, with some really great track on there. They didn't all get me going straight away but I'm sure after a couple of spins you'll be loving the album as a whole. This may be a grower with most people or maybe not with others. If you are a Hip-Hop listen to this. Sadly I can't input much music knowledge with this as I'm not familiar with this kind of music. Either way I really enjoyed the album and If I can get my hands on a physical CD of this it will be added to my collection So overall I give this Album a Good Rating. Not Amazing but really worth a listen.

2013 Albums

Reviewed
Bullet For My Valentine - Temper Temper

Reviewing
Adam Ant - Adam Ant Is the Blueback Hussar in Marrying the Gunner’s Daughter
Biffy Clyro - Opposites
David Bowie - The Next Day
Paramore - Paramore
Stone Sour - House of Gold & Bones - Part 2
Fall Out Boy - Save Rock and Roll
Black Sabbath - 13
AC/DC (Name TBA)