Music Banter - View Single Post - Adding a second cabinet and power amp to my bass rig?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Paul Smeenus
David Hasselhoff

Default Adding a second cabinet and power amp to my bass rig?

This is my bass gear

Since that pic was taken, the 4/10 cabinet was refitted with much beefier drivers w/ steel cones. I like the mid to mid-low end tones I'm getting, but the deep lows and esp. the top end isn't doing it for me at all. I'm considering getting a second cabinet with a 15" and some kind of tweet to fill in the top and bottom, but I have no confidence in the so-so power capability of that Trace Elliot head to drive both cabinets, it can drive the 4/10 cabinet but juuuuust barely.

So to that end, I'm wondering if my Adcom GFA-555 power amp I originally bought for a non-powered subwoofer for my home system would work:

...it would be 600 watts bridged mono. I could use the internal amp on the Trace for the 4/10 and the Adcom for the 15/tweet, or vice versa if that worked better.

I assume I would use the "send" 1/4" jack in the back panel of my Trace:

...does this require sending the pre-out signal to the "return" jack? If so, the Adcom isn't equipped for that, would I just split the "send" output and feed one to the Adcom and the other back to the "return"?

I apologize for omitting an "anal beads" option...

Last edited by Paul Smeenus; 03-23-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Paul Smeenus is offline   Reply With Quote