Music Banter - View Single Post - The Right Unpopular Opinions
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #27 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen13 View Post
I have not heard them, but I do remember "Perfect Strangers" being a passable song...although the last time I really heard it was around 1986.

As for 70's bands releasing not-so-strong works in The 80's, I would also have to throw in trying to keep with the times and also spending time to think of their image in an ever increasingly visual world.

A band who's sound was centered on the heavy organs and Moogs possibly had a tough time trying to find a way to fit their signature sounds in the era of the Fairlights just to get back into the commercial swing of things. Plus, there had to be an image re-fit that usually did not work, and the videos would usually be so bad that they would usually get shoved into the 12 in the Morning rotation or on the small-league video shows that would wind up on syndication.

All of that, plus I'm sure pressure from the record companies as things were going well into the big time. Very few bands were used to it, but I'm sure that trying to find THE hit single that would green light an album's release was a bit taxing.

All of that would certainly hit the creativity in the long run.
Apart for the drop in creativity and as you say visual image, other bands just couldn't adapt to the 1980s as they were very much bands of their era such as Camel etc. Other bands regenerated themselves image and music wise such as Yes, Rush and King Crimson. We're saying the 1980s for these bands, but it was really the 1977-1978 period that brought their demise, but admittedly Rush were better adpated than most for surviving into the 1980s.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote