Music Banter - View Single Post - Better grime artist than Dizzee Rascal?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cuthbert
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmaggs750 View Post
I was posed a question the other day, to find an artist who is a better modern grime influence/artist than Dizzee Rascal ... I can't do it.
Only Wiley has been more influential. Dizzee at his peak (2002-2004) was the complete Grime MC and got to a level nobody else has reached since or before.

Wiley has been constantly making quality Garage (with Pay As U Go) and Grime music that spans three decades and is a master of pretty much every aspect of Grime and what MC's should be good at (pirate radio, raves, war dubs, tracks). His list of proteges and artists he's brought through who have then gone on to achieve commercial success is ridiculous, Roll Deep, Chipmunk, Tinchy Stryder, Dizzee Rascal to name just a few. All of these guys have been influenced by Wiley.

BIDC is the best CD from the genre without question. It trod new ground, it was actually Grime, almost none of the music labeled as Grime in 2013 is actually Grime, it's just merged with Hip-Hop, or is a pop crossover, or is Dubstep, or is Trap etc... That and Wiley's debut are the only Grime CD's I'd give to someone new to the genre and wouldn't feel stupid. Wiley is a bit erratic and earlier in his career didn't really have much quality control which meant his albums suffered, most of his best material isn't on his albums.

Wiley has longevity over Dizzee as well, if I picked Dizzee's best beats and vocals it would be BIDC plus a few instrumentals and maybe a couple tracks off Showtime. That would span three years max. Wiley's hypothetical greatest hits would be absolutely rammed and be packed with bangers. His evolution in sound from the late 90's to now is incredible:

Phaze <--- Classic track he made in the late 90's when he was known as Phaze One.

Wiley - Wot Do U Call It? [3/15] - YouTube <--- This (along with 'Eskimo) is his signature track really (2003). There was nothing like this sound at the time, Wiley created it, he calls it Eskibeat. Wiley is the individual who can hold the biggest claim to inventing Grime. He's the biggest innovator and pioneer in the genre. He started on Garage then got pushed out of the scene, on this track he wanted everyone to go around asking each other what genre they called it and created a genre out of this sound. ""This is my sound and it sure ain't Garage, I heard they don't like me in Garage cos I use their scene to make my own sound, the Eskimo sound it's mine recognise it's mine"

Wiley - I Was Like You [7/16] - YouTube <--- Wiley's protege 'Maniac' produced this, one of Wiley's best vocals.

He's also the war king. Everyone has tried it with him at some point and he always retaliates. He made the best diss track in Grime history, 'Nightbus'.

He's not just great within the Grime genre, he's great in UK music in the last 20 years full stop. I can always hear bits of his flow in the younger MC's now, no matter how much they try to be different. Everyone who has been successful in the mainstream from the UK 'Urban' scene from N-Dubz to Tinie Tempah has been influenced by Wiley. There are two or three other MC's who I rate highly (Trim, Big H and Crazy Titch) but none are as complete or as talented as Wiley. He's the best MC and one of the best producers as well. I could name some producers like Rapid, Lewi White, Terror Danjah but Wiley has it all. Every Grime fan loves Wiley, you see all these MC's starting out on Grime and then making it big and never acknowledging the scene, Wiley's just gone number 1 last year yet he hasn't left, since Wearing My Rolex he's constantly been making his pop tracks but staying loyal to Grime and releasing Grime music as well. His determination to push the genre is something I wish Dizzee still had.

Wiley - Grime Wave - YouTube

I could post his music all day.

Wiley.

Yes I am a fan boy.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 03-26-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote