Music Banter - View Single Post - In Which I Attempt To Listen To 125 Albums
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
OOS
Music Addict

Rush - 2112

I'm probably alone in this opinion, but I think that "2112" is the worst part of Rush's "2112". The massive, 20 minute, 7 part sci-fi epic is one of the more notable songs in rock history, but honestly? I just don't like it. It's aimless, it's ridiculous, and none of the ideas that it has are particularly brilliant, at least not to the extent that they justify an entire side of an album to play out. I get why other people enjoy it, I do, but for me? It's just...okay.

The second half of the album does a bit better. "Tears" builds a decent bit of atmosphere with its acoustic guitar strums and spacey synths, and closer "Something For Nothing" is a decent slab of hard rock, but overall the whole thing is just a bit forgettable. I fully acknowledge that the band is skilled at what they do, but it's just not something that I'm very interested in to be honest.

So that was the first let down of the list so far! Which is fine; if 2/3 of the albums click with me like Behaviour did then I'd say that this whole project was pretty successful. Next up is Opeth's Blackwater Park, which will be my first real foray into the massive genre of Metal. Lets hope it turns out well.
OOS is offline   Reply With Quote