Music Banter - View Single Post - The Prog Rock Album Club
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #305 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

1. What were your VERY FIRST impressions on listening to the album, say from the first five minutes in?

I really didn't think I was going to like this album, to be honest. The way the first track starts off just didn't speak to me at all and I was ready for a disappointment. That changed once track two got going though.

2. What did you think of the opening tracks?

The title track which opens the album is sung in a sort of old blues method, almost a lament with the vocals and guitar taking turns, which I didn't like. It gets going a few minutes in, and it's okay but as an opener it's one of the worst I've heard in a long time and definitely the weakest track for me. "The depth of self-delusion" was a hundred percent improvement and really it just got better from there on.

3. What did you think of the later tracks?

I've nothing bad to say about any of the other tracks. I loved "Depth" and the following ""Celebrity touch" is even better. The ballad "We got used to us" is just lovely and heartbreakingly sad, and even the big epic shines on every front.

4. Did you like the vocalist? Hate him/her? Any impressions?

I've heard but little of Riverside but I must say I do like Mariusz Duda, I think he has a strong yet gentle voice and fronts the band really well.

5. Did the music (only) generally appeal to you, or not?

Yes, one thing Riverside have going for them --- one of the many things --- is that they're all excellent musicians. Wasn't mad about the horns though.

6. Did the album get better or worse as you listened to it (first time)?

Much better once I got through the first track, as related above.

7. What did you think of the lyrical content?

Quite obscure in many ways, though they all seem to deal with the idea of isolation and loneliness, and a kind of bewilderment, being left behind as the world of technology dashes on. Definitely a plea for a return to simpler times, I feel. I particularly like the lines "Google boys and Wiki girls" in one of the songs, very appropriate and really conjures up the right images.

8. Did you like the instrumental parts?

Yes, the musicianship is excellent and through there weren't any actual instrumental songs the instrumental parts of the songs were all top-notch.

9. What did you think of the production?

I'm going to ignore this in future. Like I say, unless the production is really bad I can't distinguish the production on one album from that on another. This however was fine.

10. How well do you already know the band/artist?

Riverside are a band I have all the albums of but have never really listened to one all the way through, before now. I was anxious though to see what their new one was like, and it has not in any way disappointed. I must thank Jackhammer for the original rec.

11. What sub-genre, if any, would you assign this music to?

Progressive Rock, pure and simple. Unless you want to invent a new sub-genre, Pol-gressive Rock?

12. On repeated listens, did you find you liked the album more, or less?

Much more. I've listened to it about six or seven times now and each time I appreciate it more. For an album I thought I would be writing a bad review of it's certainly surprised me.

13. What would you class as your favourite track, if you have one?

"Celebrity touch", followed by "We got used to us"

14. And the one you liked least?

Title track, no question. I've warmed to it a little more now over the multiple listens, but it's still my least favourite on an album where everything else is so much better.

15. Did the fact that this album is a debut/sophomore/middle period or later period allow it, in your mind, any leeway, and if so, was that decision justified or vindicated?

Again, this question should be ignored if the album is NOT a debut, only. This isn't, so I'm passing over it.

16. Are you now looking forward to hearing other albums by the band/artist?

Yes. Now that I've heard and enjoyed this I'm putting the rest of their catalogue on my "to-listen" list. Mind you, that list gets longer every week...

17. Did you get, thematically, the idea behind the album if there was one?

A basic look at our technological world and how people can be swamped by and even swallowed up by it. The dangers of the likes of Facebook and ITunes taking over your life, and generally a warning not to trust things that you can't see and touch. The idea too of relationships disintegrating under the incessant pressures of the modern world.

18. Did the album end well?

The choice of the tiny ballad "Coda", which revisits "Feel like falling" is a great idea, and a wonderful and low-key end to a powerful album. It also sounds a last note of hope. So yes.

19. Do you see any way the album could have been improved?

I would perhaps have preferred the title track maybe halfway through, as for me it made a bad impression from the start. Other than that, no, nothing really.

20. Do you think the album hung together well, ie was a fully cohesive unit, or was it a bit hit-and-miss?

Yeah, I think the basic idea ran through most of the songs and although not a concept it was very cohesive, with most of the songs referring to each other in one way or another.

Ratiing: 8.5 out of 10