Music Banter - View Single Post - Brad Stengel's Magical Musical Orgy of Sound
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #68 (permalink)
Brad Stengel
This Space for Rent

100.Charlie and the Moonhearts- "Thunderbeast"
2008, Laguna Beach, CA

Kind of a messy noisy mess that attempts briefly during the verses to latch on to a surf rhythm. I have the album (same title as the song) and this is the only track I remember being worth mentioning

99.The Traditional Fools- "Layback!!!"
2008, San Francisco, CA

If you've ever heard The Untamed Youth's "Pabst Blue Ribbon", you pretty much understand the idea of this song. Super simple variations on one riff, pausing to yell the title. This is one of the punchier sounding selections from the surf-punk vaults however, making it worthy of the list.

98.El Paso Hot Button- "Snake Boy Lives in the Mississippi"
2007, Oklahoma City, OK

The first of many one-man-sludge-blues bands. Personally, when it comes to blues, especially newer stuff, I strictly only take to the really filthy recordings. Not necessarily poor quality, I just like it to sound like you're going to have to scrape the mud out of your speakers after, which this song definitely does an excellent job of. Ruining your electronics.

97.Intelligence- "Garbage in, Garbage Out"
2005, Seattle, WA

Now is a good time to point out that as I start this list, the lions share of less poppy tracks are going to be more concentrated in the 90's through 50's of this list. Personally, I'll take a well crafted pop tune over a pile of noise 9 times out of 10. That being said, these noisier punk songs still have a lot to them. This one's got a winning combo of bullhorn vocals, out of tune sludgy guitar work, and a drum beat in desperate need of a defibrillator.

96.The Hunches- "Ate My Teeth"
2009, Portland, OR

Another noisy track, much faster though, and even with a (saxophone?) obnoxiously wailing at the end. This one kind of goes the opposite direction as "Garbage In, Garbage Out", as it chaotically attempts to switch gears periodically.

After reading that sticky from Urban, I'm gonna try to keep the youtube posts to a minimum. That being said, here's The Hunches!