Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 05:44 AM   #1745 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Having been gently accused of posting something too depressing by the redoubtable misspoptart (mmm.. pop tarts!) I dedicate this entry to her good self, who from her online personality at least gives the rather encouraging impression that she is seldom, if ever, depressed.

As I said in the first episode of this series, there's not always a clear reason why certain songs cheer us up or put us in a good mood, and indeed some of the ones I select may have the reverse effect, but this is my journal and if you don't like it YOU CAN ALL JUST GO TO HELL ALWAYS BUGGIN ME ANNOYIN ME SICK OF IT .... Er, sorry, forgot to take my pills today. Ahem. Anyway, these are songs that when I hear them just make me smile and want to be happy. Which most of the time I am anyway. God knows why...

"Love is in the air" --- John Paul Young, from the album "Love is in the air", 1978
Spoiler for Love is in the air:

I love the optimism and simplicity in this song. It's got no deep meaning, just the pure joy of someobody walking around and seeing people in love. Great beat and I love the way the chrous builds up on that "climbing" piano. One of my favourite "up" songs.

"True blue" --- Madonna, from the album "True blue", 1986
Spoiler for True blue:

The beat of this song makes it for me, also the "Hey!" at the start. I'm no big fan of Madonna's but I really like this single, and again the simplicity of love and devotion in it --- even if it's hardly likely to reflect Madge's own personality --- speaks to me. Always evokes the best part of the late eighties in my mind.

"Love's the only rule" --- Bon Jovi, from the album "The Circle", 2009
Spoiler for Love's the only rule:

The upbeat tempo of this song, plus the power and passion Jon puts into the music makes this one of my favourite tracks on the last album. Say what you like about Bon Jovi --- I've heard it all before and you won't change my mind about them --- they know how to write catchy pop/rock, and this is about as catchy as it gets. Always puts me in a good mood.

"Don't stop" --- Fleetwood Mac, from the album "Rumours", 1977
Spoiler for Don't stop:

I hardly need to explain why this song makes me happy do I? One of the cheeriest, most optimistic, uptempo records of the seventies, and from a classic album too. What more could you want?

"And a bang on the ear" --- The Waterboys, from the album "Fisherman's blues", 1988
Spoiler for And a bang on the ear:

Perhaps odd that two of the songs I chose as happy ones, or ones that make me feel happy have "blue" in the title, but there you go. This is a great celtic swinger from Mike Scott and the boys. It sort of has no real chorus, just the line where he sings the title, but it's a real one to get up and have a hoolie to, and the sort of philosophical shrug Scott treats each of his failed love affairs with is refreshing.