Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official David Bowie Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #352 (permalink)
Cuthbert
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankycaaant View Post
Did nobody else think The Next Day was just a case of playing it safe.
Not really tbh. If he wanted to play it safe he could have just retired, but...

Quote:
Jeez, even the album cover was just a rehash of the Heroes album.
Surely if he wanted to 'play it safe' then he'd have got a completely new album cover made instead of doing something like that? That album cover is the opposite of playing it safe.

Quote:
here was nothing on this album that made me think, wow; this album was actually necessary.
Do you not enjoy any albums at all if they aren't 'necessary' then? Was Heroes necessary after Low? It was basically the same just another edition of what he did on Low.

Quote:
Now I like Bowie but I ask myself what the point in this was. It touched on no new ground, did nothing out of the ordinary and I think in a few years it'll just be lost amongst his vast discography.
It doesn't have to touch on new ground to be an enjoyable listen tbh.

Quote:
I don't know what I was expecting, it's just that for someone dubbed 'The Music Chameleon' I'd have thought there'd be some variety on this. I have to say I think Bowie's lost his ear for changing up his style and this latest effort signals to me that he's finally ran out of steam. After all, when was the last truly great Bowie album? Low in 77, perhaps?
Scary Monsters. But I think the fact it's gone straight in at number 1 suggests that he hasn't ran out of steam. All artists inevitably fall off anyway, we know he's peaked, this is a good album.

Quote:
It was almost like an old man standing up and saying 'look I've still got it' which is all well and good if he were a sports player but music is a world of adaptation and change. Staying stagnant and not switching up your style is detrimental to your progression as an artist. Bowie better than anyone knows this. Which brings up the question, why even put this out there?
I know lots of fans will be drooling over this and hailing it to be great when in fact it's probably average at best. If you look at it objectively (don't say it's good, coz he's old) what is so great about this record?
The production for a start, sounds far, far better than most of the stuff he's done in the last 30 years.

Are you saying here, that this album isn't good because he's old or that people will say "this album is good because David Bowie is old"?

Quote:
It reminds me of another album. REM's Collapse Into Now, and I think we all know what that album was a precursor to.
Perhaps you could argue, why should Bowie go out his way to try something new at this stage in his life? He's had a long, varied and successful career.
That's true and The Next Day will satisfy most but it doesn't touch his best work and to me just feels like a rehash of what I've already heard him put out, and heard him do better.
Doesn't stop it being a good album tbh. I'm not saying this is his best album or as experimental as the Berlin trilogy, but it's an enjoyable listen and the best thing he's done in a long time. It's a straightforward, Rock, David Bowie album.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote