Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official David Bowie Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #353 (permalink)
The Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy Kittens View Post
Not really tbh. If he wanted to play it safe he could have just retired, but...

Surely if he wanted to 'play it safe' then he'd have got a completely new album cover made instead of doing something like that? That album cover is the opposite of playing it safe.
How is doing something different playing it safe? He used a rehash of an old album cover. Not exactly innovative. Had it been a dubstep album, would that have been 'playing it safe' because it's different by your logic.

Quote:
Do you not enjoy any albums at all if they aren't 'necessary' then? Was Heroes necessary after Low? It was basically the same just another edition of what he did on Low.
They each showed an artistic spark and both brought new ideas and themes to the table. Low being a much more instrumental album that incorporated elements of world music into it. I question the need to bring this album out, as you earlier said he could have just stayed in retirement.

Quote:
It doesn't have to touch on new ground to be an enjoyable listen tbh.
I never said it was bad, I just expected elements of new ideas from Bowie, a man who has constantly switched up his style throughout his career and is known for doing so.

Quote:
Scary Monsters. But I think the fact it's gone straight in at number 1 suggests that he hasn't ran out of steam. All artists inevitably fall off anyway, we know he's peaked, this is a good album.
I'm pretty sure One Direction have had a number 1 album, are they in Bowie's league? The Top 40 charts don't determine which music is good and what is not, they merely determine sales figures. Ant N Dec were at Number 4 in the singles chart last week. Does that mean their song is the fourth greatest track in the world?
Not all artists fall off at all. Most know when to call it a day, Bowie doesn't.

Quote:
The production for a start, sounds far, far better than most of the stuff he's done in the last 30 years.
He's using updated technology and recording equipment. If you were to remaster the majority of his 70's albums, they'd sound similar.

Quote:
Are you saying here, that this album isn't good because he's old or that people will say "this album is good because David Bowie is old"?
Neither, I'm asking people to tell me why they consider it a good album, something you've neglected to do.
14232949 is offline   Reply With Quote