Music Banter - View Single Post - The great hardcore/punk countdown
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #349 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

33. Broken Bones ,Genre (Hardcore/Crossover Thrash) Stroke on Trent UK, era, 80's &

G.I.S.M. Genre (Harcore) Japan, era 80's

I listed Discharge a while back, which was considered a lowball by some. The reason for this is that the core talent of the group in my opinion was guitarist Tony Bones, who went on to form his own band Broken Bones.

After that, Discharge was never the same, and no matter which way you look at it, they tried to sell out with the release of Grave New World. Meanwhile Tony Bones was beginning to take UK 82 in a harder direction, before either The Exploited or English Dogs attempted the venture. (chosen softer songs)

Nevertheless, this band had its shortcomings. I've picked one song in particular that highlights the pitfalls of this otherwise great band. The guitar intro to the song F.O.A.D. (**** off and die) showcases Tony Bones at his finest, but after the lead in, the song falters into your standard mediocre punk song. I am of the personal opinion that if Cal had been on vocals and had some direction in the songwriting, that the two of them would have done wonders as Discharge. Unfortuantly the leaders of UK punk have a history of imploding.

Decapitated

City Fodder

FOAD

G.I.S.M.

I was going to plop down a second teir UK82 band, but the Japanese hardcore legends are far more entertaining.

Death Exclamations

Nih Nightmare

Last edited by William_the_Bloody; 07-10-2013 at 09:52 PM.
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote