Music Banter - View Single Post - Brad Stengel's Magical Musical Orgy of Sound
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #69 (permalink)
Brad Stengel
This Space for Rent

95. The Glamour Pussies- "Wont Take It Up the Ass"

San Francisco, CA?, 2002, "Glamour Pussies EP"

The Glamour Pussies do some pretty abrasive punk songs, this one sounding similar to a lot of early 80's hardcore. From what I can make out from the lyrics, somebody is on "the rag", and they only use their asses, "to go poo". It sounds juvenile, (and it is to an extant, as should be most punk) but it's good punk rock, Kathleen Hannah would be proud.

94. Cheap Time- "Penny and Jenny"

Nashville, TN, 2009, "Woodland Drive 7"

The first of several cuts in this list featuring Jeffrey Novak, an extraordinarily under-looked figure in the national scene. This is his most "punk" band, his other projects focusing on whimsy Kinks fetishism and one man band blues scum. You may remember Cheap Time getting brief coverage on Pitchfork when Jay Reatard was blowing up, as they were both on the excellent label In the Red. Overall I don't find Cheap Time to be anything that special aong similar Tennessee acts, but this is still a really tight, spunky little ditty.

93. Magic Kids- "Good to Be"

Memphis, TN, 2009, "Memphis"

As I made my list closer towards the top, I realized a lot of the punk/garage got poppy enough to be considered straight up indie-pop. I still couldn't tell you the difference between the genres when fidelity is taken out of the equation. This is a simple guitar back, with some hand-claps, goofy vocals, and an entire keyboard orchestra. Catchy as hell, although I admit it does get a bit too happy-go-lucky for me at times. In any case, excellent feel-good music.

92. Boston *****s- "Swollen Useless"

Memphis, TN, 2007, "Jay Reatard/Boston *****s Split 7'"

Let me start by respectfully admitting that the A-Side "Let It All Go" by Jay Reatard is one of the greatest punk/garage songs of all time, and virtually everything put onto a B-Side of such a track would be disappointing. In any case, this track still does maintain an extremely high level of quality on Side B, making this one of my favorite 45's of all time (Not that I own a hard copy-this is strict music collector's theory from the digital age) An excellent balance between fun catch and an urgency underlined by some excellent guitar work.

91. Crusaders of Love- "Next Summer"

Lille, France, 2012, "Take It Easy...But Take It"

Like I stated before, this genre is truly endless, and despite making this list in advance (eventually if anybody's interested I'd be happy to message you all these tracks), I found this one merely hours ago. Luckily It's still early in the list, and since I've decided to use only one track from each group, it makes it easy to make room to insert artists I've overlooked. A somber, sloppy sad garage song from France. It nails everything that it hammers towards.