Music Banter - View Single Post - How to buy an instrument
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 06:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
eeglug
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwi View Post
@eeglug: could you please explain a bit more why physically trying the instruments in the store is the best way to make a decision? Would you not consider buying an instrument online, and why?
It's a bit like shopping for clothes. You want to try something on because maybe the material is not right or the 'cut' does not fit your body.

Every instrument is different, even within the same model coming off the same assembly line. You need to rule out for those differences. That judgment can be made in a matter of minutes at a physical store or it can be played out over weeks and months through online shipping/returns. Note that it's also possible to receive a damaged instrument from an online transaction - one that was either damaged to begin with or one that was damaged while in transit. A music store is typically not going to display an instrument that's very obviously damaged; it should at least pass a minimum physical inspection before being placed out 'on the floor'.

I would say that one is compromising slightly when using a physical store because they might not have the stock you are looking for. Or they may have the model of the instrument you want but the particular one they have is flawed in some way. It's perhaps not uncommon for buyers to tailor their decisions based on the inventory at physical stores, to the point where the buyer may walk out with an instrument purchase that is outside of his/her initial buying criteria. It's a compromise, but one that many are willing to make to avoid the 'sight unseen' alternative of an online purchase.

In the end I wouldn't totally rule out online shopping but it would have to be a last resort for me personally. There are some brands/models that are difficult to find at a physical store. If you live in an area without physical stores, online shopping might be your only option. To their credit, online retailers seem to be quite sympathetic to their customers and are generous with their return policies.

I should add that I have bought a fair amount of music gear online that is not a physical instrument: electronics, software and incidental accessories like instrument cables, guitar strings etc.