Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #5620 (permalink)
Thom Yorke
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
I got God of War: Ascension yesterday. I actually think these guys are really good at tweaking the system just enough in each game to keep it fresh while still giving people a God of War game. I always have to spend the first couple hours getting the hang of the minor tweaks, mastering it, and then feeling like a badass all over again. While I can tell the rage meter is going to produce some problems later in the game (I use the hell out of combos and not having them by getting knocked around once is kind of annoying), I think it added enough change to keep me interested and challenged. Plus, it fits...Kratos isn't exactly rage-filled just yet like in the main games so you have to get him that way. My only other problem with it is the beginning...it just kinda...started. Every GoW game has started with something freaking EPIC and this is the first one (PSP games included) that didn't. By the end of his escape with that battle with the Aegean, though, I was fully immersed. I love the scale these games have.
I wouldn't worry about the rage meter. I think this game gets progressively more easy as you go through it with all of the upgrades you can get, even relative to the other games. I've nearly beaten the game (it's going to have to wait awhile as GoW has taken a backseat to Bioshock for the time being) and find that I'm just breezing through the later parts of the game, where as early on I found myself dying much more frequently. Apparently there's a part right before the end that is just brutal though, so I may have to reserve my judgement.

As for starting off with something epic, I think that's more just a by-product of the series really doing everything it can do in the previous games. This game still features awesome set pieces and cool boss fights, but it's tough to better or duplicate fighting a hydra for the first time, the Colossus of Rhodes come to life, or fighting Poseiden while on the back of a Titan scaling Mount Olympus, not to mention all of the other things that this series has done.
Thom Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote