Music Banter - View Single Post - Jimi Hendrix is overrated.
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust View Post
I know, things will sound different live, but Jesus does that guitar sound bad.
What do you mean by "bad?"
Like when you say "bad" do you mean: Man that guitar sound Jimi had was "bad" like real "bad" ass. or Man that guitar sound Jimi had is bad like terribly "bad."?

Quote:
Creativity

Okay, so I’m going to admit that I like Foxy Lady and All along The Watchtower - they are pretty damn catchy. I’m not going to deny the fact the Jimi had some creative genius in him – it’s just the fact that he had to (mostly) rely on LSD and various other drugs to compose songs.
All along The Watchtower was "catchy" because Zimmie penned it, actually.

Really Jimi's reliance was on the Sci-fi paper-back novels he read. Purple Haze was base on something from a book he read, it was not based on LSD-25 or any various other (I presume non-pharmaceutical) drugs.

Quote:
I compare that to The Beatles’ Let It Be and Abbey Road albums – they had simply run out of ideas and turned to drugs to help find a new tune.
I was assured by Ringo Starr in an interveiw he did that they [The Beatles] were not under the infleunce of the laughing grass or (non-pharmaceutical/street) drugs whilst they were recording in the studio . And Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds isn't about LSD as some propose. It was a picture I think that Julian drew supposively or at least that is what John told the press maybe as a cover up which I doubt he would throw his own son under the bus to cover up a (non-pharmaceutical/street) drug reference.

Quote:
For all that Jimi is praised in his techniques; he doesn’t really expand outside his genre. A true musician explores all genres and styles. Jimi only delves into rock, blues and a bit of psychedelic, and that’s it.
Holy moly what do you expect they had back in the 60's? Dub-step? Glitch-Hop? Jimi probably did explore all the genres available back in the 60's. I don't know if he recorded Country Music but his favourite guitarist was a country guitarist, Clarence White, who was the guitarist for the Byrds who he listen to quite a lot. And btw you forgot to mention Jazz, R&B and Soul.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote