Music Banter - View Single Post - Prince vs. Michael Jackson
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #66 (permalink)
sopsych
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
Jackson had 28 top 10 hits but I am just going to point out the number 1 hit songs for each of his albums that were mostly written by him himself

Off The Wall

Dont Stop Till You Get Enough written by Michael Jackson produced by Quincy Jones co produced by Michael Jackson This song was a number one hit and there is a video on youtube of how Jackson composes the song with instruments before Quincy polished it

Workin Day and Night written by Michael Jackson produced by Quincy Jones co produced by Michael Jackson Wasnt a number one hit but one of the best tracks on the album and there is demo of how Jackson composed the song before giving it to Quincy on youtube

The only other number one hit was Rock With You.

So Jackson wrote and co produced one of the number one hits for this album

Thriller

Wanna Be Startin Something written by Michael Jackson produced by Quincy Jones co produced by Michael Jackson

Billie Jean written by Michael Jackson produced by Quincy Jones co produced by Michael Jackson and was a number one hit song

Beat It written by Michael Jackson produced by Quincy Jones co produced by Michael Jackson and was a number one hit song

The Girl Is Mine written by Michael Jackson produced by Quincy Jones co produced by Michael Jackson

Billie Jean and Beat It were the only number one hit songs and Jackson again wrote and co produced both

BAD- the entire album was written andco produced by Michael Jackson except for two songs

BAD written by Michael Jackson
The Way You Make Me Feel written by Michael Jackson
Speed Demon written by Michael Jackson
Liberial Girl written by Michael Jackson
Another Part of Me written by Michael Jackson
I Just Cant Stop Loving You written by Michael Jackson
Dirty Diana written by Michael Jackson
Smooth Criminal written by Michael Jackson
Leave Me Alone written by Michael Jackson

Jackson wrote the entire album except for two songs. There are demos on youtube of half of these songs he performed at his house with instruments and with beat boxing before giving it to Quincy.

This album had 5 number one songs all which were written by Michael Jackson himself except for Man In the Mirror: BAD, The Way You Make Me Feel, Dirty Diana, Man In the Mirror, I Just Cant Stop Loving You

Dangerous- Michael Jackson had co wrote alot of the songs with Bill Bottrel for this album but I am just going to point out the songs he wrote by himself

"Heal the World" Michael Jackson 6:25

"Black or White" (featuring L.T.B.) Michael Jackson

"Who Is It" Michael Jackson 6:34

"Will You Be There" (Theme from Free Willy) Michael Jackson 7:39

There are also demos of this song on youtube

This album only had one number one song Black or White which was written by Michael Jackson

HIStory... MJ had some co wrote for this album but I am just going to mention the songs he wrote by himself- Alot of people and critics hail this album as his best because of its political and socially conscious lyrics and theme... the album was co produced by Jacson

2. "They Don't Care About Us" Michael Jackson 4:44
3. "Stranger in Moscow" Michael Jackson jackson produced this song by his self 5:43
5. "Earth Song" Michael Jackson and jackson produced this song by his self 6:46
6. "D.S." (featuring Slash) Michael Jackson 4:50
7. "Money" Michael Jackson 4:41
10. "Childhood" (Theme from Free Willy 2) Michael Jackson 4:28
14. "Little Susie" Michael Jackson 6:13

You Are Not Alone was the only number one hit which was written by R.Kelly but

Blood On The Dance Floor- I actually think this album was very Prince inspired- This was just a remix album for his previous album but he did have 4 new songs which Jackson wrote one of

Songs like Blood on the Dance Floor and Superfly Sister are held as his best.
"Morphine" (featuring Slash) Michael Jackson 6:29

Invincible- jackson co produced album and has alot of writers for this album and co credits but going to name songs he wrote by himself

The Lost Children- written and produced by Michael Jackson

8. "Speechless" produced by Jackson written by Michael Jackson 3:21

No number ones but You Rock My World was a Top 10 US hit and was co written and produced by Jackson.

This is the reason why a poster suggested that Jackson is underrated and he most definitly is. People just label him an [I]entertainer/I] when he was just as much an artist as Prince. He wrote majority of his catalogue and most of his top 10 hits were written by himself.

Some of these posts here are hilarious and absurd with suggesting Jackson did not write any of his songs lol

He also produced and arranged a handful of his own music. He also played the acoustic guitar and played the piano. I also think just because a singer doesnt play instruments does not make them any less of an "artist". Yes Prince is the better musician but that does not make him better and I also think its unfair to compare his catalogue to MJs because he had more albums.

I LOVE them both but I have to pick MJ. He was a phenomenal talent and he just had the whole package (songwriter, producer, arranger, innovative, fantastic dancer, and entertainer Prince was as well (except for he was not as talented a dancer as Jackson and not as innovative in the music video department either) but just prefer MJ his more relatable music wise and he is a better singer). There hasnt been an artist that matches their talent that has came out of the new milenium. There two completely different artists dont get why they are always compared.

Thank you - good work there.

Well, the comparison is because they were the two big-name male African-American pop stars of the 80's and early 90's.

I am one of the people who thinks HIStory was MJ's best work in some ways, musical sophistication with a social consciousness that I don't think Prince has ever pulled off on one album. But the biggest hits from HIStory weren't reflective of that quality. "Dirty Diana," "Billy Jean," Leave Me Alone," and "Who Is It" were other high points of Jackson's songwriting, in my opinion.