Music Banter - View Single Post - Jimi Hendrix is overrated.
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 02:21 AM   #23 (permalink)
Rjinn
The Aerosol in your Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust View Post
*well I'm going to get a lot of flak for this but oh well*

2 Reasons Why Jimi Hendrix is overrated

1. His use of the whammy bar/Playing in general

watch a video of his performance of Hey Joe at Woodstock and compare it to his studio version. In my opinion I think he absolutely destroys the whammy bar in the song in a bad way. Nearly every lick starts and finishes with it, and because of the amount of distortion it sounds like he knows that he will make a mistake so he uses the whammy bar and distortion to hide it.
Also, his playing is incredibly sloppy. I know, things will sound different live, but Jesus does that guitar sound bad.

2. Creativity

Okay, so I’m going to admit that I like Foxy Lady and All along The Watchtower - they are pretty damn catchy. I’m not going to deny the fact the Jimi had some creative genius in him – it’s just the fact that he had to (mostly) rely on LSD and various other drugs to compose songs. I compare that to The Beatles’ Let It Be and Abbey Road albums – they had simply run out of ideas and turned to drugs to help find a new tune.
For all that Jimi is praised in his techniques; he doesn’t really expand outside his genre. A true musician explores all genres and styles. Jimi only delves into rock, blues and a bit of psychedelic, and that’s it.
Jimi was wild and ferocious, and that's exactly what made him such an influential guitar icon. Live, he just let loose an improvised on the spot. Clean and well planned wasn't his appeal, from how I see it at least.