Music Banter - View Single Post - Last chance to evacuate Earth...
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default Last chance to evacuate Earth...

I watched this really unsettling documentary about what would happen if Earth had to be evacuated. It really opened my eyes and also worried me a little. They spoke of this neutron star approaching Earth. It's unstoppable. It will destroy Earth. In this scenario it would get here in 75 years, so we build a spaceship, an ark that will take us to new worlds.

All well and good so far. BUT only so many people can fit on the ark, and they obviously want the best people to be able to propagate on the eighty-some years journey, and for their children to be able to colonise the new world.

So here are my questions: what is it, if anything, about you that you think would secure you a place on the Ark? I'd be screwed, I know: all I'm good at is writing and being able to take care of someone disabled, and neither are done in any sort of professional capacity. Anyway, my sis could not go, being disabled and I'd be damned if I'd leave her. I personally would buy some pills that we could take before the neutron star got here, because believe me, death will not come easy if you wait. This thing is literally going to tear our planet apart and vapourise it.

But what would YOU do? And if you couldn't get a seat, how would you face being left behind? What would you think? Should at least some humans make it off the planet, and how would you feel then that they are, quite literally, leaving you behind to die? What about a lottery? Would that be fair? And what about the rich scum who are no doubt going to bribe their way onboard?

Would you accept it and let the thing go ahead, or would you riot, try and destroy it, attack people who were chosen? How easy, or not, would it be for you to face death, knowing others are going to live, pretty much at your expense? And if you DID get a place on the ship, how do you think you'd feel, watching your planet explode into gaseous nothingness as you leave?

I'm interested as to how people think they'd react.

Oh yeah: the above, though it could happen, is just a fiction, a possible scenario for the future, but this bit is actually being considered: the serious plan to power the ship is to have nuclear devices detonated behind it, one every three seconds, in order to get up close to a fraction of the speed of light. How do you feel about that? Our first venture out into space and we're going to pollute it with radiation! Go Mankind!