Music Banter - View Single Post - Sam Harris, "New Atheists", and Islamophobia
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
WWWP
county fair energy

My problem with Sam Harris is that he tends to grossly overgeneralize and then respond to articles written against him by constantly accusing the authors of "cherry-picking." I respect and tend to agree with Harris in most areas (excluding his views on military action in the Middle East and gun control most notably) but I think that he is certainly guilty of repeatedly making comments vague enough about "those people" which a lot of people understandably take to mean "all Muslims," which is both dangerous and irresponsible.

I absolutely agree with the "new atheist" movement inasmuch as I do think that organized religion is a dangerous and unnecessary evil. Religion is obviously very complex both socially and psychologically, and I don't mean to imply that all religious people are dangerous or that all churches cause direct harm or anything of the sort. But I do believe religion is something that should and eventually will be eradicated.

In regards to why the "new atheists" all seem at some degree Islamaphobic I think can be attributed to the fact that the key players all wrote books and rose to fame shortly after the attacks of 9/11. Whether the act actually swayed their opinions enough for them to assert that Islam is a more dangerous religion than any other or not, I'm not sure. But it makes sense that the violent tendencies of the religion would be a big part of what they're talking about right now.

This is an article we discussed at a recent Atheists and Skeptics Club meeting at my college that I think you'd enjoy, Tim.
Scientific racism, militarism, and the new atheists - Opinion - Al Jazeera English
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
WWWP is pretty but should be cancelled (digital blackface)

#DEMODFROWNLAND
#TERMLIMITSFORMODERATORS
WWWP is offline   Reply With Quote