Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Solo of All Time?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 06:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Steve Howe's solo in Yes' cover of Simon & Garfunkel's "America."

Steve Howe's guitar playing is just insane in this song. He solos when solos like when Jon doesn't sing and then he solos right over Jon's singing. You just can't stop him from soloing! You can almost imagine Steve Howe as some 19th century immigrant coming to America and being awed by all the different types of music he hears. But then he's like this Absorbatron soaking it all up, and playing it back in one song. He starts out slow and modest, does some chicken pickin, but then he really lets loose after Jon worns about the bow tie being a camera. His references Chuck Berry, Duane Eddy and Chet Atkins can be heard with riffs, licks, and fills that he plays loose, clean and articulately. And beside Hard Rock stuff, he does Jazz runs, throws in a little Funk/Disco near the end. It's like a time capsule of 70's music. And he really doesn't plays not even half of what he knows, still you hear him paying homage to his influences and you hear his own style as well. He really proves he is a genius on guitar with this song.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 04-06-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote