Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #13090 (permalink)
Alfred
one big soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exoskeletal View Post
I agree with you but there are also some classic films on there that certainly aren't on there for being "popular". Most of them are older films but some great foreign films of the last ten years are on there. It's a flawed list that gets a few things right but wrong things VERY WRONG. Is every Nolan movie on that list? I love his work but really? Dark Knight and Memento and that should be all.
Yeah, I give the list credit for at least having some classic art films on it (probably films that the Nolan crowd hasn't seen). There are some people who do know their stuff, but a majority seem to be people who have never seen a foreign film or one from before 1970.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure all Nolan's films are in the top 250 except for Following and Insomnia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Honestly, I agree with several of the rankings that you just mentioned. The Shawshank Redemption and Memento specifically are great movies and literally every single film you listed is far superior to American History X, which I've always considered to be a great Ed Norton performance wrapped in a black and white Lifetime original movie.
I like The Shawshank Redemption and Memento, but I wouldn't put either of them anywhere near my top 25 favourite movies of all time. Shawshank is too sentimental for me to appreciate as anything other than a very good Hollywood film, and Memento is just an interestingly-written, satisfying thriller. I'd give them both 8/10, but I think are vastly overrated.

I 100% agree with you about American History X.