Music Banter - View Single Post - The Knife - Shaking The Habitual
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 03:34 AM   #30 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankycaaant View Post
I think it just proves that bigger isn't always better. Most of the album is self indulgent ambient wankery. It's just too much to sit through and it neglects the things I liked about Deep Cuts and Silent Shout such as the catchy poppy hooks.
It was a real effort to get through the album last night and I can't imagine completely getting behind this unless I was out of my mind on drugs and/or time was moving really fast.
Quote:
Also - one track is just the girl going 'eeeeeeeeeee' like she's a retarded child making mouth noises and another track sounds like a gaggle of geese.
A flaming pile of overproduced sh*t that hipsters will still maintain is a fantastic record.

EDIT: my two out of five rating was overly generous.
Quote:
this album sucks and you all know it. you just are scared that maybe you don't understand it so you vote positively regardless.
It does suck. There's nothing to 'get'. Horrible, horrible album. It sucks, if you pretend to like it, you suck. See sense. Bad album.
Save this bullshit for open-mic comedy night. You're hyperbole comes off as a joke. I'm not kidding, you can make some material out of this is how you truly feel. It could be funny.

Quote:
What the f*ck do you guys like about this?!?!?!?!

Which part of the droney shi*ty noises and samplings of geese do you love so much?!* Is it not possible that this album just sucks?

(it does)
*Bolded the material you should use in your comedy act, if you decide to actually do a bit about The Knife.

I haven't listened to the album enough times to cite precise moments of the album that I enjoy. In fact, I hardly ever even listen to The Knife. But it's hard for me to believe that anybody who likes the band at all would think that this album is worthless crap. It's peppered with catchy & poppy beats throughout. Maybe the ambient parts are self-indulgent and more appropriate for Olaf's solo work but they still usually work for me. I don't find the ambient/retarded vocal parts to be annoying. Again, I can't cite specific examples off the top of my head but it's not new for those sounds to show up in The Knife's work. You make it sound like they've gone avant-garde. I don't hear that, myself. I wouldn't even call this "experimental"

I find this new album more lively than Silent Shout, and more interesting than the other one. In any case, this isn't a large departure from their previous work. I'll probably listen to it more than Deep Cuts or Silent Shout, which I definitely feel is a little bit boring in comparison. I'm giving it a 4. I'll reach for this one first on the rare occasions that I feel like listening to The Knife.