Music Banter - View Single Post - Artists Who Don't Write Their Own Music
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
BadassBaconBreath
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Yeah but back then Mozart performed the music himself, or at least conducted it. Anyway you can't compare classical music to modern music: there has never, to my mind, been a classical composition NOT written by the composer/artiste it's identified with. In other words, Beethoven didn't ask people to write for him, nor did Grieg, Haydn, Liszt... the whole idea was to compose and own your own music, AND play it too.

Completely different ballgame.
What do you think of my Sinatra point?
Well, how many symphonies have there been when the composer has not been there to conduct his music? But we still identify the piece with the composer. I guess you do make in point in saying that the climate of the musical world has changed a great deal since then. So perhaps I am being idealist in thinking that more credit should go to composers than they currently receive. Despite that, it would be nice if it were so.
And about Sinatra, although I don't consider myself well-versed enough in his music to give an accurate opinion of his work, I would like to point out the validity in your argument that the songs on his records wouldn't sound the same if not coming from his distinctive voice regardless of whether or not he wrote the songs himself.
BadassBaconBreath is offline   Reply With Quote