Music Banter - View Single Post - Phonographic Memory
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
ladyislingering
Maelian

Default Phonographic Memory

Welcome to my musical "dumping ground". Prepare yourself for gratuitous youtube links and short versions of memories connected to the music therein. Music has served as a lifelong companion to me, and my taste is varied even beyond my own understanding. Feel free to stay for a while, offer your thoughts, or just lurk and silently judge.

I'll start here, with something I revisited this morning -

Fleetwood Mac - Gold Dust Woman

"Did she make you cry, make you break down,
shatter your illusions of love?"

This will always remind me of someone I trusted who acted as a mother figure for some time in my life, then suddenly turned me away and left me with the greatest devastation I ever knew at that point in my life. I then spent the next two years drug-addled, numb, and directionless. I pulled through with "Rumours" in heavy rotation on my phonograph (among others, but that album in particular really stood out for me during my time of need).

While I'm on the topic of drug use, I'm currently detoxing again and can't help but think of this classic song, which rolled into my life during my very first experiments with psychoactive medicine -

David Bowie - "Ashes to Ashes"

"Strung out and heavens high, hitting an all-time low..."

I'll probably be posting in this thread pretty often, so I apologize in advance if I seem a little spammy at times.

Also I really hope I didn't jack someone else's thread title, because mine seems so typical ... but fitting.