Music Banter - View Single Post - Artists Who Don't Write Their Own Music
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
P A N
DO LIKE YOU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadassBaconBreath View Post
I guess when it comes down to it, if I like the music, I'm going to buy the records. I just prefer when artists write their own music.
haha... oh jeez. sometimes i need to include more info...

i didn't mean by any of that to say that the music coming out of people today is not enjoyable or not worth it's salt. in all likelihood, i probably like more music by people who i would not consider masters than ones that i would. i guess i was trying to highlight the amount of work and dedication it took to produce music that people would pay any attention to back then... music was so serious. it took what today would amount to a lifelong schooling in a single thing to get someone to fund the scoring of an orchestra's-worth of notation and then pay one to play it... unless of course a composer was so ambitious as to fund something like that themselves, probably doubling the already-intense fear of failure. i don't know... i just look at it as a breeding ground for genius.

obviously genius is not even close to the only good thing coming out of musicians though. but at one time, if you weren't something breathtakingly special, you were no one.

i feel like what i'm typing isn't quite translating into what i'm thinking about this... i guess i'm trying to pinpoint what it is and when it was that opened the gates to an openness about perceived limitations in one's abilities which allowed musicians, composers and writers to borrow each others' talents instead of taking on the task of making great art solo. i'm not knocking it, i'm just trying to figure it out.
P A N is offline   Reply With Quote