Music Banter - View Single Post - Artists Who Don't Write Their Own Music
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

Okay, put it this way. Have you ever listened to a song that moved you? I'm almost certain that the answer to this is a resounding, "YES."

Did you write that song? No?

Okay. So, a song can move you without you having written it. Fantastic. Now we have people whose voices are well-honed instruments, but they're not especially talented at writing songs. But, there are people who can write songs to move them, to affect them. They become the mouthpiece to the song, but they are also more than likely moved by the song. Otherwise, there would have been a disconnect that negatively affected the song, without even knowing the performer didn't write it.

Did Whitney Houston write "I Will Always Love You?" does her rendition still move people to tears? Did Jeff Buckley write "Hallelujah?" Does his rendition still stand out as many peoples' favorite song, or near the top of their list?

Also, do fantastic actors...does Daniel Day-Lewis write his lines? Does Meryl Streep? Did Bette Davis? Katharine Hepburn?

There is no integrity lost if someone performs effectively their role in a piece of art.

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote