Music Banter - View Single Post - Massive Attack - Mezzanine(A staple album and genre reviewed by a trip hop newb)
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I usually find that any new genre takes a lot of work to find exactly what is right for me. I think there's something for everyone in every genre, so don't give up on anything.
I'm the same way. There is usually one album I can point to in any particular genre that kind of opened my eyes to what was going on and then I could enjoy the other "classics". A couple examples...Love's "Forever Changes" showed me what 60's psychedelic could do and for a while that's all I wanted to listen to. Charles Mingus's "The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady" opened my eyes to jazz after years of just not "getting it". A Tribe Called Quest's "Midnight Marauders" did the same for hip hop.

Basically, if you have any interest in trip hop from what you've heard, you will eventually find something you like. I find a lot of people new to trip hop are converted when they hear the Sneaker Pimps' "Becoming X". Try that one out.