Music Banter - View Single Post - The SLANG Thread.
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #76 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopinuk View Post
There are far too many slang and local terms in my region that I could in no way list them all off in one go. I'll give it a go with what could well become 'Volume I'

Aye - Yes.

Nar - No.

Canny - Generally means 'good' or 'nice' but it can have a broader meaning. Usually we would say something like "Aye, he/she/that's canny" or use it explain that we are well, when asked "How are you doing?" We would also use it a lot to mean 'very' or 'quite' as in "That test was canny hard."

Lass - Girl, woman.

Hinny - Woman. Often old woman.

Gadgie - Man. Often old man.

Bonny - Pretty, beautiful. "That lass is canny bonny."

Belter - I'm finding it hard to define this one but basically it means something that is outstanding, brilliant. "That was belter!"

Divn't - Don't

A - The way we tend to pronounce 'I'.

Dee Sometimes used instead of 'do'. "Divn't dee that!"

Alreet - Alright. Usually used as a greeting or question. "You alright?"

Hadaway - Go away. Be gone. Get out. This word also made one of my favourite local slang expressions "Hadaway and shite!" meaning pretty much the same thing, but often in a way that would also suggest an element of surprise or disbelief.

Whey Aye - Of course.

Anarl or An' all - As well. "Aye, that anarl."

A'nar - I know. "A'nar that, man!"

Wor - Our. "You should come round wor house."

Bairn - Child.

Bait - Food.

Gan Go.

Tab - Cigarette.

Giz - Give me.

Blar - Blow

'Iz - Me. As in I could combine the last few words here to make this sentence "Gan on, giz 'iz a blar on that tab."

Couple-off To leave two, or a few, blars of a tab for a 'marra'. "Leave 'iz a couple-off that tab marra."

Marra - Friend. Mate.

Borra - Borrow.

Gorra - 'Got a'. As in "Have you gorra (whatever) a can borra?"

EEEE - An expression of surprise, or usually disappointment, and generally said by annoying females. "Have yer gorra tab a can borra?" "Uh, no. Sorry." "EEEEE NARRRR!"

Charver - Chav. It's our word, they are our charvers. **** off, rest of the country and get your own filthy, scrounging, waster twats.

Kappa Slapper - A female charver. You remember 'Kappa' right?

Lush - Lovely. Nice.

Yem Home. "Am gannin yem."
Best post here! Geordie speak is legendary in the U.K apart from cockney rhyming slang but that is just plain annoying at times!

I cannot believe that the terms Toilet and Loo are considered rude yet the term Restroom / Washroom isn't as you primarily relieve bodily functions in a toilet and don't rest or wash unless you have a crap salesmans job or have no home.

A few slang terms from up north work here. A tab is a cigarette and Plooting down means it is raining.

A few from where I grew up:

Chuddy - A chewing gum.
Sarternoon - this afternoon.
Bab - a term of endearment mainly for kids in the family or female family members.
Bluenoses - A bunch of wankers who support Birmingham City instead of the the Villa.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote