Music Banter - View Single Post - Antonio's Music Dumping Ground
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #43 (permalink)
Antonio
VICTORY SCREEEEEEECH

SONGS I'M DIGGIN'
Ghost B.C.-Year Zero

Hey everyone, I know that it's been really long since I last posted on here, but I've just been getting adjusted to my new job as of late. While I won't go into too much detail, I have some new free time, but at the same time I don't, so trying to work on this thread while juggling different parts of my life. I got into this band more or less on a whim when I saw some page on Facebook about metal and one of those "whose better" things with Opeth, Mastodon and these guys. Already having known the first two groups obviously, I decided to check out Ghost, and I'm glad I did.

The best way I could describe this band is "Satanic disco rock". They have lyrics concerning the dark lord and the occult, and back it up with melodic singing and 70s style synth and a danceable groove to wrap it all together. What might be a selling point for some (and conversely a drawback for others) with this band is the vocals. They're this sort of clean and clear and slightly nasally singing that at first doesn't seem like it should belong anywhere near the music. It really works with what they're trying to do though and is one of the best parts of their music.

This comes off of their soon to be released album Infestissumam and is already a song I've had on repeat for some time. I was originally planning on doing another song of theirs (Ritual from their debut Opus Eponymous), but I can't deny how much of an impact that this song leaves me with. From the very beginning, it's dark chanting sets you up for something foreboding, but then subverts that with a more upbeat and danceable groove to support the menacing chants.

The vocals at first have this sinister side to them, but then the chorus kicks in and you're hit with this soaring melody that pumps you up and makes you want to sing along.

It's funny though, because you may be surprised at how eager you will be to sing "Hail Satan" if you're not into the dark lord already, but this song really has a certain catchiness to it. The song that I had previously planned to do, Ritual, has it's own catchy chorus, but the one in Year Zero is something so infectious that it actually made me forget about Ritual altogether, even though I had listened to the latter song 5 times on the way to work and I don't even own the former song.

The rest of this song is no slouch either; the chugging guitars set up a groove that is supported by the atmospheric keyboard which makes for a really killer track.

In essence, this song isn't the most technical, and it's structure is a bit on the predictable side, so if that doesn't sound like your metallic cup of tea then you may want to pass on this band for now. For people who like heavy music with a melodic edge though, this band can bring something refreshing to the table.

So yeah, this is a good band in my opinion, and I'll definitely look to pick up Infestissumam when it actually comes out.

My MB Journal-I talk about music and stuff!

add me on Steam!
http://steamcommunity.com/id/commandercool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave
isn't this one of the main reasons for this entire site?

what's next? a thread made specifically to banter about music?

Last edited by Antonio; 06-23-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote