Music Banter - View Single Post - The SLANG Thread.
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #81 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

Slang around here is kind of odd.

Holler = A hollow; the flat part between two hills/mountains. In my everday life, I'd likely hear it used as, "Did you see that fire Harold had blazin' 'cross the holler?" Actually, I heard that exact sentence today, and it was quite the fire.

Out Rush = In Rush. This could be any smaller city/area. If someone is in my city, referencing the location of something in Rush, a close yet smaller town, they'd say something akin to: "Have you ever eaten at Rosie's out Rush?" Or, "I'm not driving to his house: He lives all the way out Wayne." It also tends to refer to something off the main drag, kind of "out" there.

Done: The context this is used in is generally: "You done ****ed up," or "He done left already." Generally used by younger people in an exaggerated and ironic way, but still a mainstay in the vocabulary of the older generations. In those contexts, it pretty much replaces "have/has."

"God love 'im/'er": This one is more difficult to explain, because I've really only ever heard older people (or people from 'out Rush') use this expression. Used in pretty much the same context as "Bless your heart/Bless his or her heart." For example: "Jamie done broke his leg sleddin', God love 'im." Basically, a positive sentiment after a statement of something unfortunate that's happened. Another example could be, "Tessa, God love 'er, can't keep a job to save her life." In usages similar to the latter example, I've always found it kind of condescending.

You're about as useful as tits on a bull. = You're not very useful. (You'd possibly be surprised at how many people actually use this phrase for real.)

A spell = A while. Example: "Why don't you come out of the heat and sit a spell?" If that's still confusing, that's something you're likely to hear when outside in a million degree Southern weather, and someone's inviting you in their cool house to sit down for a little while.

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote