Music Banter - View Single Post - The Prog Rock Album Club
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #332 (permalink)
Electrophonic Tonic
Your Ad Here

1. What were your VERY FIRST impressions on listening to the album, say from the first five minutes in?
When I first heard this a few years ago, I was taken aback by how organ driven it is. It was like listening to a less acid soaked Vanilla Fudge. And of course, hearing Inga Rumpf's voice for the first time stick in your memory.

2. What did you think of the opening tracks?
It sets the tone for an album of bluesy (German?!) prog rock. I do think the album peaks with How the Gypsy Was Born, however Good Winds only a slight drop off for me.

3. What did you think of the later tracks?
Take Care of the Illusion is the only track that leaves me wanting more, but it is still a well done track. And Duty is a great way to end the album and really lets Rainer Baumann shine.

4. Did you like the vocalist? Hate him/her? Any impressions?
I like how Inga's voice is gruff enough to match the rockier aspect of Frumpy's sound. And, as much as I prefer the music itself to vocals, it's nice to hear an original, unique singer in a prog band.

5. Did the music (only) generally appeal to you, or not?
Right in my prog wheel house.

6. Did the album get better or worse as you listened to it (first time)?
I haven't heard the album in a little over a year, and I appreciate it a lot more now compared to when I last heard it.

7. What did you think of the lyrical content?
In general, it's an interesting mix of the more mystical themes (Gypsy) and then more modern themes like on Duty.

8. Did you like the instrumental parts?
Absofreakinlutely. It's nice to hear a prog band play together as a band, while still managing to shine as individual musicians in a non-ELP, wankery kind of way.

9. What did you think of the production?
Again, it reminds me a lot of Vanilla Fudge's debut album. Thick overall with the organ just peaking out over the top.

10. How well do you already know the band/artist?
I heard about them from a fellow prog rock lover in a geology class I took 4 years ago. He got me into Yes and I got him into King Crimson. As a thank you, he showed me this video of How the Gypsy Was Born on youtube. I eventually found a CD of them at a local record shop, a $30 import, but it was totally worth it.

11. What sub-genre, if any, would you assign this music to?
Inventing pointless genres again, but bluesy prog is the first thing that comes to mind for me. But I understand the Space Prog label you guys have been putting on it.

12. On repeated listens, did you find you liked the album more, or less?
I've constantly enjoyed it as long as I've heard it, but this most recent listen bumped it up a little bit more in my opinion.

13. What would you class as your favourite track, if you have one?
How the Gypsy Was Born is such a damn good song and I'm convinced it would be on constant rotation on your decent classic rock radio station if they had any kind of name recognition.

14. And the one you liked least?
Take Care of the Illusion has the quieter part and even thought it recovers nicely, Frumpy is at their best being bombastic.

15. Did the fact that this album is a debut/sophomore/middle period or later period allow it, in your mind, any leeway, and if so, was that decision justified or vindicated?
I've heard their first album... and I honestly don't remember much about it. I've heard it many once or twice, but there are like 8-10 3-5ish minutes tracks, so it's right for you Troll

16. Are you now looking forward to hearing other albums by the band/artist?
I haven't heard their live album, but I want to find it now that I've sort of re-discovered these guys.

17. Did you get, thematically, the idea behind the album if there was one?
Ummm... I think Rainer Baumann looks like a terrified Dave Mustaine. (Check the video if you so desire)

18. Did the album end well?
As I said, I really like how Duty lets Rainer Baumann shine and the track has enough structure and interesting passages to serve as the album closer.

19. Do you see any way the album could have been improved?
Mellotron... but I believe it can do no wrong and make any prog record instantly better. But yeah, not much other than that.

20. Do you think the album hung together well, ie was a fully cohesive unit, or was it a bit hit-and-miss?
Four great prog rock tracks from the Rhineland... works for me.

Easily, 9/10

Last edited by Electrophonic Tonic; 04-12-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Electrophonic Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote