Music Banter - View Single Post - The Batlord Listens to Random **** and Talks About It
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #31 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

The Batlord Learns to Like Country...Maybe: Part V

Johnny Cash: At Folsom Prison

So, this is the first country album I ever listened to, but I just bought it so I figured I might as well talk about it. It helps that I'm still not all that familiar with it. So...

Dude, a live album recorded at a prison. How cool is that? Seriously, you can sound like two dogs fighting in a blender all you want, but do you have an album recorded in a prison? No? Better luck next time Cannibal Corpse. And it's not just a cheap gimmick either. If this album is any indication, then prison audiences are loud and energetic as fuck. I guess if I got a break from staring at the wall and getting raped by my three hundred pound cell mate then just about anything would be worth cheering about. Yet Johnny doesn't seem to be intent on making the convicts forget about their circumstances. Most of the songs on here are about the narrator committing crimes, getting arrested, being in jail, getting executed, etc. And the cons fucking love him for it. Any time he sings about some guy swinging from a noose or shooting his wife they cheer like Marilyn Monroe just took off her top. Apparently Cash spent some time in prison himself, and it shows in his rapport with the "audience". He doesn't condescend to them, he doesn't seem at all scared of them, and he doesn't try to pretend that he isn't singing in a fucking prison. Hell, he doesn't even bat an eyelash at bringing his wife onstage to sing a song with him. Instead he banters and jokes with them and in general treats them like human beings. You can even see a picture of him shaking hands with a prisoner in the audience in the liner notes. Crazy motherfucking dude.

Of course there's also music on this album too. Much of the music on here is simple, energetic country with a heavy rock influence that gets the blood pumping. There's also the heartfelt ballads that, along with Cash's baritone, really puts the image of the lonely, suffering misfit who is usually on the wrong side of the law. This album can sooth as much as it can excite and it's enough to convert anyone who doesn't like country.

Spoiler for That click is the sound of your cell door closing.:

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote