Music Banter - View Single Post - Screen's 66-69 Rare Single and Album of the Day!
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Default Screen's 66-69 Rare Single and Album of the Day!

Going through a lot of research, I discovered a whole bunch of hand-written chart data that will be of great use for a new Journal focusing on the world of rare Late 60's singles of interest that you could get into. Without any long introduction, memories of growing up, or crazy concepts, as this era would see me being about 3, let's continue.

All research is based on US Release and success from Billboard and Cashbox. I will usually give something that Bubbled Under or did not chart the important vote, but I will consider something peaking in the 50's as a stopping point for singles, and about the 70's for albums. I also have notes about when many interesting albums and singles were given a review, so expect a lot of non-charters as well as worldwide hits that never got a proper airing in The US.

Being 4/13 as I write this, let me check my research for this time in 1968, a week that saw The Rascals' classic "A Beautiful Morning" starting it's way to the Top 10 in The States...

Starting out with some Soul, **** and the Blazers' "Funky Walk" started to move it's way into the lower reaches of the Hot 100 on this day, reaching #67 within a few weeks, but the effect that this has on the listener is timeless. Released in Original Sound, the label that Garage Punk legends The Music Machine were on in their heyday, Arlester Christian's "Funky Broadway" band would see their commercial highlight in 1969 with "We Got More Soul". Christian would pass away in 1971 (March 13) after being shot, leaving a legacy of very influential Soul music behind which still is an influence to many - he was 27.

As my notes don't have an rare album of interest on this day (There will be some for the next week!), let's go for another single, this one from the Pop world that's standing out in it's own cheesy way.

Although a big UK and worldwide hit, Dave Dee and the rest had yet another under-performing disc in The States with The Legend of Xanadu, which was campy Trumpet-filled fun that at least must have attracted the very few into Western Movie soundtracks. First appearing on the US BB charts this day in '68 in the Bubbling Under section, it crept to #123, then goodbye! Produced by Steve Rowland, Written by Ken Howard and Alan Blakley (The Honeycomb's "Have I the Right" and more).

Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote