Music Banter - View Single Post - You in an alternate universe
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

I find it reasonable to believe that there could be multiple universes, however, I don't find it very likely that there are duplicates of ourselves living our exact lives in different ways. Given the possibility of infinite separate universes being created, there is no stipulation that mandates it has to be a universe that can support life, nor are there any stipulations that because there is a universe that plays out like our own, it has to play out with any regard to ours.

For instance, I may analyze my own choices and wonder about some alternate universe where I had made different decisions at that moment, but I am assuming that both me and my parallel self made the same exact choices all the way up until that point. To me, that would be highly unlikely, while possible, but not likely enough to ponder about.
I think it's mostly human imagination and ego to think that because we exist and because the possibility exists that there are alternate universes, that we must therefore have multiples of our own egos existing across the span of reality because we are just that important...

Personally, I lend more credibility to the possibility that if there are multiple universes, no matter if there are infinite numbers of them, they will never be parallel to such a degree that we can compare a theoretical universe to our own in the degree that we tend to. While one may say that given the infinite possibilities, that surely one other universe would line up, he would still be assuming that the parallel self is linked to him, and therefore comparable. When in reality, it would be another person entirely, and not someone to which you could compare as though you are operating as one entity making separate choices.

So, to me, the whole exercise is one of futility.
I think a better way to look at your scenario is to just analyze your own choices after the fact and extrapolate other possible outcomes resulting from other choices.
You don't need a parallel universe to do that. You just need hindsight.

...which was probably what your post was really about.