Music Banter - View Single Post - Composing
Thread: Composing
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #24 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust View Post
Is it only me that can't write good music? I nearly always end up just stealing a riff from another song. I'm currently doing Music at university but I know they'll probably fail you if you directly copy something. I once got disqualified from a performance exam because my piece sounded too close to Roy Orbison's Pretty Woman.
You will not only get a failing grade, you will likely be expelled for plagiarism if you copy material directly without proper credit. That will make it really hard, if not impossible, to enroll in any other school (even if you go to another country - your transcript follows you!)

That being said, there is only much you can do until your compositions start sounding vaguely familiar to people. But it takes a while to get to that point. Start by experimenting with odd harmonic progressions or time signatures, and use block chords to create this progression. Once you have something, come up with a melody of sorts based on those chords, that also fits into the key and time signatures you chose. Since you're in music, I assume you can read and write music. Notate your song on manuscript paper as you go along. This will make it easier to see what direction your music is headed in.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote