Music Banter - View Single Post - Bombino - Agadez
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Stephen
I sleep in your hat

Bombino - Nomad (2013)

After my first few listens I must say I was ready to dismiss this album as over-produced b-material from his earlier album Agadez. Having heard it a few more times I can say that it has grown on me but it is not without issues. Having moved over to Nonesuch records with Black Keys' Dan Auerbach I get the sense that Auerbach was a little lost with the material. The addition of session musicians on keyboards and pedal steel is distracting at best, and I found the mix uncomfortably saturated in the upper registers. I kind of imagine Auerbach sitting there smoking a few bongs and telling everyone to sound more deserty. If I had to guess I would say Auerbach was trying to recapture some of the raucousness of the field recordings on Guitars of Agadez released by Sublime Frequencies. I wouldn't say that he failed miserably but I do hope he re-evaluates his approach on any subsequent albums. Overall I would probably give this one a 6/10.

LOL. I was being facetious about the bong smoking but looking at the cheesy psychedelia on this official video one has to wonder.

Last edited by Stephen; 04-14-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote