Music Banter - View Single Post - Can we stop the genre wars?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman419 View Post
Well I kind of did a tip of the iceberg type thing
on my ipod I have, post-hardcore, metalcore, deathcore, "pirate metal" (if you'll count that as a sub genre), hardcore punk, "normal"punk, power metal, thrash metal, hard rock, death metal, rap, electronic, folk metal, progressive metal, progressive rock, alternative rock, gothic metal, nu metal, electro metal, pop-punk, "djent" and even psycobilly.
I think I'm pretty varied.
Still one genre, not that varied. I can listen to didgeridoos or The Beatles or Bob Dylan. I think that is more varied than what you listen to, no offense just being honest here. Sometime I can go from listening to Polkas to Electronica, but I can't go from listening to Electronica to listening to Polkas, it's kinda like brushing your teeth and then drinking ice tea - it kinda messes up the taste buds.

ok I hope you don't mind I made an outline of the things you have on your i-pod, to show it is basically one genre with sub-genres and many sub-sub-genres I thought a Venn diagram would work better, or a flow chart like Sam Dunn but I ain't got time for that.
  • Popular Music:
    • [Rock and Roll]
      • rap
      • electronic
      • [Rock]
        • hard rock
        • progressive rock
        • alternative rock
        • [Punk Rock]
          • "normal"punk
          • Pop-Punk
          • hardcore punk
          • post-Hardcore
        • Heavy Metal
          • metalcore
          • deathcore
          • "pirate metal"
          • power metal
          • thrash metal
          • death metal
          • gothic metal
          • nu metal
          • electro metal
          • folk metal
          • progressive metal
            • djent
          • gothic metal
          • nu metal
          • electro metal

I've seen some musicologist file hip hop music and Electronica under Rock and Roll. I don't see them being properly classified under Rock and Roll (but since people here like to make issue over small stuff) I thought I'd defer what I've seen others classify them as.

My opinion is since instrumentation if very different in hip hop music and Electronica to Rock music then it should be a genre out-side of Rock and Roll.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote