Music Banter - View Single Post - Can we stop the genre wars?
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 05:45 AM   #26 (permalink)
zman419
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Still one genre, not that varied. I can listen to didgeridoos or The Beatles or Bob Dylan. I think that is more varied than what you listen to, no offense just being honest here. Sometime I can go from listening to Polkas to Electronica, but I can't go from listening to Electronica to listening to Polkas, it's kinda like brushing your teeth and then drinking ice tea - it kinda messes up the taste buds.

ok I hope you don't mind I made an outline of the things you have on your i-pod, to show it is basically one genre with sub-genres and many sub-sub-genres I thought a Venn diagram would work better, or a flow chart like Sam Dunn but I ain't got time for that.
  • Popular Music:
    • [Rock and Roll]
      • rap
      • electronic
      • [Rock]
        • hard rock
        • progressive rock
        • alternative rock
        • [Punk Rock]
          • "normal"punk
          • Pop-Punk
          • hardcore punk
          • post-Hardcore
        • Heavy Metal
          • metalcore
          • deathcore
          • "pirate metal"
          • power metal
          • thrash metal
          • death metal
          • gothic metal
          • nu metal
          • electro metal
          • folk metal
          • progressive metal
            • djent
          • gothic metal
          • nu metal
          • electro metal

I've seen some musicologist file hip hop music and Electronica under Rock and Roll. I don't see them being properly classified under Rock and Roll (but since people here like to make issue over small stuff) I thought I'd defer what I've seen others classify them as.

My opinion is since instrumentation if very different in hip hop music and Electronica to Rock music then it should be a genre out-side of Rock and Roll.
Maybe I'm a little to guilty for having a hard on for metal and my tastes are't as varied as I thouht they were, though genres like polka are a little to....... hard to listen to for me. Though I respect it, I respect pretty much every artist (cept some of the top 40 artists, a lot of them are *******s)
zman419 is offline   Reply With Quote