Music Banter - View Single Post - Jack White - Blunderbuss(2012)
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
porkchop
Music Addict

Default Jack White - Blunderbuss(2012)

It's 11:30 AM as I start writing this, I've been up much too long so I've decided to write a review to see if it helps me sleep. Due to my current mental state this review might be a bit rushed through, but I'll do my best to give out my opinion on every song. If I read it later and decide it is completely rubbish, I will redo it at a later point. Individual reviews of some tracks may be skipped. Criticism and comments always welcomed.

Up this morning we have Jack White's Blunderbuss. Let's jump right to it.

Missing Pieces opens and flows with a pretty cool piano melody. Followed right in by the sound of drums and especially the kind of sound from a guitar you'd expect from Jack White. The lyrics seem to have nice pace with the music, wouldn't expect anything else from Jack White.

Sixteen Saltines opens right up with energy. The riff in this song has all it needs, that rough edge and that catch that keeps you listening.

Freedom At 21 Right off the bat the song opens with a guitar riff you feel like you had to hear somewhere before. If you feel like that way, you're 100% right. It sounds almost like an out take while he was coming up with the riff for Seven Nation Army. I'm all for artists using a common sound throughout an album, but a pretty damn similar riff to another song he did almost an entire decade earlier? Shame on you Jack.

Ah, Blunderbuss, the title track, this I have heard a couple times, so I know my opinion on it for the most part. I enjoy the piano in this song, it's very peaceful for music done by Jack White. This song is more mellow than the rest of the album thus far, save for some moments of bursts of energy. It flows well. If you ask me the lyrics are great, they tell a story. It seems to be about two secret lovers that aren't supposed to be together.

Hypocritical Kiss, love the piano opening. If nothing else can be said about this track, I love the piano in it. Plain and simple. The drums keep a nice constant rhythm. Certainly adoring this song.

I'm Shakin' Enjoying the drum beat and guitar riff right from the start. Enjoy the lyrics as well. It almost has some qualities of the roots of rock and roll, but more modernized. Definitely my favorite track on the album so far an I am barely halfway through.

Trash Tongue Talker A bit meh in the beginning, but I'm enjoying the piano midway through the song. The lyrics aren't that bad either.

Hip (Eponymous) Poor Boy, admittedly I was expecting this to finally be something I could call a filler track. But it's still great music coming through my headset. Great drum beat and amazing piano track. Enjoying the lyrics as well. It's quite quirky in it's own way.

I Guess I Should Go To Sleep is all too appropriate at the moment. Automatically becomes my favorite song on the album. Since I had no idea it even existed before deciding this was the album I was going to review before trying to go to sleep again. And besides all that, it isn't bad at all. Lovely piano track, nice and calm. Something to go to bed to.

Was not fond of On and On and On as the track before the closer. I'm not quite sure why, it just didn't sit well with me.

Take Me With You When You Go, I feel this is a decent closer, not what I would have chosen, but decent. It's enjoyable another one of those more peaceful tracks from the album. Probably would have put this somewhere in the middle.

Jack White's Blunderbuss is a very well done debut solo album. Which isn't a surprise considering his career thus far. The album has great melodies, great piano playing, great guitar riffs, great drum beats, and amazing lyrics. Would expect anything less from Jack White though? Of course not.

The album earns a solid 8.5/10. Would gladly listen again. Just might put I Guess I should Go To Sleep on repeat and fall asleep.
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote