Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beatles vs The Beach Boys
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #664 (permalink)
Surell
Master, We Perish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveYourCarDownToTheSea View Post
Contest #10: Battle of the "Baroque Pop" songs - "Caroline, No" vs "Fixing a Hole"

Lots of good contestants here, and hard to find close matches. This pair is just one possibility.

"Caroline, No" - recorded Jan 1966

"Fixing a Hole" - recorded Feb 1967

My Verdict: Caroline No is a great song, but I'll give the edge to Fixing a Hole.
I had to comment on this one. Late as always.

"Fixing a Hole" gets on my nerves. Though it has grown on me, it's content is just kind of empty or pretentious, and contributes virtually nothing to the album (besides stating their stance in psychedelic culture). It does have a nice little beat though, and some alright guitar playing by George, and the transition to the chorus is done well. But "Caroline No" is a gorgeous, heartbreaking ballad, so minimal that it just lives in your music experience like a skeleton. It has one of their best vocal performances, and is paced incredibly. The jump in range at the second "oh caroline" is just stunning. However, even with the fitting solo toward the end, it isn't quite conclusive enough as a closer to such a great album.

The edge is still to the Boys though.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote