Music Banter - View Single Post - Screen's 66-69 Rare Single and Album of the Day!
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

April 19, 1969 - The Bob Seger System's "Ivory" debuted in the Bubbling Under section only to reach #97, and I'm sure that the band had a major buzz kill after getting a Top 20 US hit from "Rambling Gambling Man". It would take Seger many years to actually break out of the Detroit music scene with Beautiful Loser, but at least he stuck to it. Those who have only heard his 70's and 80's hits may be surprised at this and many other 66-71 Seger songs that have the edge missing from his best known work.

For the album, let's go for Ike and Tina Turner's Outta Season, the one with a sound based more in their Blues side than their Soul sound which debuted in this day in '69. Released by Blue Thumb, a label led by Bob Krasnow that had a number of interesting albums including two by the post-Forever Changes version of Love as well as commercial successes, it only went to #91 and R&B #19 through the strength of their devoted following who turned it into a cult classic.

Here's the show-stopper from the album, "I've Been Loving You Too Long", a song known to wow the audiences. One of their performances of this classic was used in the film Gimme Shelter.

I'll get to a track from Tim Buckley's Happy/Sad sometime in the near future (#81...well, at least it did better than Goodbye and Hello), but I feel that Ike and Tina deserve more of an airing with an album that's easy to find for streaming, but not as noticed as much. This was their debut album chart appearance, with River Deep Mountain High being next appearing on the US album chart in Sept. 1969.

Their next Blue Thumb album was The Hunter also in '69, and a small hit that again deserved better.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote