Music Banter - View Single Post - Waco Texas Explosion
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 03:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
It is definitely a horrible tragedy.
Yes. And I didn't mean to imply that the quantities of tragedy should be compared just because both incidents happened around the same time. Very different circumstances caused both things. For me, what's interesting is to compare the reasons behind the tragedies and to weigh the causes against each other.

In Boston, apparently some young religious freaks purposefully, deviously, and obviously illegally destroyed lives and property based on their personal beliefs. Both offenders had just reached adulthood.

In Texas, a group of established professionals accidentally destroyed a lot more lives and property because of their politically acceptable greed. The fertilizer plant was a known hazard. Its overseers had no intention of hurting anybody but definitely intended to contort the world around them to satisfy their desire for money. They did it legally.

Regulators fined Texas plant for safety violations | 11alive.com

For a few thousand dollars, officials of the federal US government recently allowed the owners of the plant to compromise the safety of an entire region. It appears that lies were told and that greased palms cosigned those lies and got the federal government to deem this fertilizer plant an acceptable risk.

I find myself wondering which incident is more criminal, and which is more endemic and dangerous to US society.