Music Banter - View Single Post - Would you enjoy the music you listened to as a teen if you heard it for time today?
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
It's not just about nostalgia. It's how your taste has developed over the years.
Of course, but you also have to consider that the music that you listen to during your teens is, or at least can be, very formative of your listening preferences. How do you remove a particular criteria that was formative of your preferences and treat it objectively? I can't objectively say that I would like or dislike hair metal if I heard it for the first time today, because nostalgia is only one factor that prevents me from being objective about it.

Also consider that everything that I listen to today has, in some way-- however removed from my past influences, been influenced by them. Therefore, if I hadn't been introduced to and influenced by Michael Jackson's Thriller when I was 11 years old I might have an entirely different set of criteria by which I would judge the the album if I heard it for the first time today.

The only thing that nostalgia does is make it even more difficult to be objective about it.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote